Greetings Florida FTC Teams, Coaches, Volunteers, and Sponsors:
The league leadership teams are very busy identifying event locations and dates. We current have events published on the www.flfirst.org website and events have also been added to the FIRST Volunteer Management Information System (VIMS). Therefore, teams can start registering to attend events and volunteers can also start registering for events. The volunteer training material is expected to be published on Schoology starting in early October.
This version of the newsletter covers the following topics
1. Initial League Schedules Published
2. Register for League Meets
3. Teams Mentoring Teams
4. Robot Controller and Driver Station Software Version 4.0 Released (FIRST Repeat)
5. Robot Electro Static Discharge (ESD)
1. Initial League Schedules Published – Many of the league events dates and locations have been finalized and published on the www.flfirst.org website. Please make sure you visit the following web page on a regular basis to see what new events for your league are published: http://ftc.flfirst.org/index.php/season/events.
2. Registering for a Florida FTC Event – if your team would like to attend an event, you must register for the event by going to the following web page: http://ftc.flfirst.org/index.php/season/event-registration. You will need a six digit passcode to register for events. Within a week of you completing your FIRST team registration process, you will receive an automated email from the first.flfirst.org website with your passcode. Please keep this email in safe place as you will use the same passcode throughout the 2018-19 season to register for events. If you do not receive the passcode email, I suggest you first check through your SPAM folder and if you still not able to locate the email you can request the code by visiting the following web page: https://ftc.flfirst.org/Registration_System/resend_passcode.php
4. Robot Controller and Driver Station Software Version 4.0 (FIRST Repeat) -- The FIRST Tech Challenge Robot Controller and Driver Station software versions 4.0 have been released. This release contains updates for the 2018-2019 competition season. The updated Robot Controller and Driver Station apps are available on Google Play. The updated software development kit (SDK) is available at the following GitHub repository:
5. Robot Electro Static Discharge (ESD) -- Eric Chin, a FIRST alumnus (FRC and FTC) and a 2018 summer engineering intern, wrote a paper that examines the efficacy of various ESD mitigation techniques. This paper was posted to the FTC Forum. This paper provides excellent information for teams and event organizers. The summary of the paper is:
- Encourage teams to add ferrite chockes to signal wires
- Ground the electrical system to the robot frame through a large resistor (available at Rev Robotics)
- Isolate electronics to prevent arcs
- Use anti-static spray on floor tiles