Greetings Florida FTC Teams, Coaches, Volunteers, and Sponsors:
This version of the newsletter covers the following topics
1. Event Schedule and Meet Results
2. Dean’s List Nominations
3. Software Updates
4. Florida State Championship
5. Outreach Opportunity -- Florida FIRST Advocacy Conference
1. Event Schedule and Meet Results – We are now more than a month into the 2018-19 FTC season and teams have been attending league meets. I wanted to make all of you aware that we post the results of each league meet and the league rankings on the www.flfirst.org website. This event results information can be found on the follow web pages:
League Rankings-- http://ftc.flfirst.org/index.php/season/state-rankings
Team Stats -- http://ftc.flfirst.org/index.php/season/team-stats
If your team would like to attend an event, you must register for the event by going to the following web page: http://ftc.flfirst.org/index.php/season/event-registration. You will need a six digit passcode to register for events. Within a week of you completing your FIRST team registration process, you will receive an automated email from the first.flfirst.org website with your passcode. Please keep this email in safe place as you will use the same passcode throughout the 2018-19 season to register for events. If you do not receive the passcode email, I suggest you first check through your SPAM folder and if you still not able to locate the email you can request the code by visiting the following web page: https://ftc.flfirst.org/Registration_System/resend_passcode.php’
2. Dean’s List Nomination – Dean’s list nominations will be interviewed at league championships in January, 2019. Do you have an outstanding sophomore or junior student on your team that embodies leadership, entrepreneurship, technical expertise and a passion to spread the word about FIRST®? Make sure to nominate them for the Dean’s List Award! December 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM ET will be the final time Florida teams can make their nominations. Make sure to read the Dean’s List Nomination Guide and submit your nomination today! Coaches, please make sure you complete your Dean’s List nominations no later than December 15, 2018.
3. Software Updates -- The FIRST Tech Challenge Robot Controller and Driver Station software versions 4.3 have been released, not 4.2. The updated software development kit (SDK) is available at the following GitHub repository: https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app
4. Florida State Championship – The Florida FTC Championship date and location has been finalized for February 22-23, 2019 at the Prime Osborne Convention Center in Jacksonville, FL. The event has been added to VIMS and want to encourage volunteers to start registering for the event. I also want to highlight a change in the schedule for the Florida FTC Championship. This season we are planning on including 48 teams and therefore need to be able to start opening ceremonies early on Saturday morning. Therefore, Friday inspection/judging will be required for all teams. In past season, the Friday inspection and judging schedule was encouraged but optional. With the number of matches we will need to complete on Saturday, we will not have time Saturday morning to complete robot/field inspection or team judge interviews.
5. Outreach Opportunity--Florida FIRST Advocacy Conference -- Interested in joining with other FTC and FRC teams to make FIRST loud in Florida’s Capitol? The inaugural Florida FIRST Advocacy Conference is scheduled for March 19-21, 2019 in Tallahassee.
Modeled after the FIRST National Advocacy Conference in Washington, DC, the Florida FIRST Advocacy Conference will equip students to communicate effectively about their FIRST experience with their elected representatives. The organizers, FTC RISE 7719 and Ascend 14699 from Lakeland Christian School, participated in the National Advocacy Conference in Washington, DC in the summer of 2018. RISE was inspired to bring this training back to Florida to share with other FIRST teams.
A partnership with the Florida Commission on the Status of Women's LEAD Summit will connect FIRST students to a broad coalition of leaders from organizations across the state of Florida during their days in Tallahassee.
The training is intended for high school students and select, mature older middle schoolers participating actively on FTC and FRC teams. Space is limited. Teams are requested to limit participation to four team members plus chaperones. If space is available, additional slots will open.
To register: https://goo.gl/forms/DTWrBOwmq5VrHJ8Y2 Registration deadline: January 9
Conference fee: $40 per person covers snacks, conference materials, and activities.
Hotel: Country Inn and Suites $125/room with two double beds/quad occupancy