It's almost time!!
The FTC season will kick-off on September 12, 2015 with the announcement of the game objectives and rules. The will be very exciting season with significant changes. In February, 2015 FIRST announced that the FTC program will be switching to a new Android control system this season. Please make sure you ready about the exciting changes to the control system on the www.usfirst.org website.
1. FTC Registration Open– 2015-16 Season
2. Florida FTC Kick-off Events – September 12, 2015
3. ROBOTICON Tampa Bay
4. Upcoming Outreach Opportunities
1. FTC Registration Open – 2015-16 Season – Registration for the 2015-2016 FIRST Tech Challenge season is officially open and we currently have 52 Florida teams registered. Please help us organize the Florida League structure by registering your team(s) as soon as possible. We will not be able to finalize the league structure as well as dates and locations of events until we have a majority of the 150+ teams we are expecting to have in Florida this season. We are expecting to create between 1-3 additional leagues in Florida but we will not be able finalize the league structure until we have a good understanding of the location and number of Florida teams. Please register as soon as possible by going to the following website: http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/ftc/registration
2. Florida FTC Kick-off Events – There are two exciting kickoff events schedule for September 12, 2015 to allow teams to learn about the new season game and the new Android control system. Additionally, we will have some exciting giveaways for teams the registered for the event on www.flfirst.org and attend one of the events shown below. However, please be aware that only teams that have registered for the event will receive the giveaways. There is no cost to attend either of the following kickoff events. Therefore, please make sure you register your team in the FIRST Team Information Management system and then register for the event by going to the follow web page:
Florida FTC Kick Off Events September 12, 2015:
Middleton High School, 4801 N 22nd Street, Tampa, FL 33620
Agenda: 10am-10:30am Understanding the Florida League System
10:30am—11:45am Understanding the New Android Control System
11:45am—noon Introducing the 2015-16 Season Game Rules
noon-1:00pm Field Access and New Control System Demonstrations
1:00pm—1:30pm New Game Rule QA
Florida Atlantic University, TechRunway, 901 NW 35th Street, Boca Raton, FL 33431
Agenda: 11am—11:45am Overview of League Changes and the New Android Control System
11:45am—12:15pm Introducing the 2015-16 Season Game Rules
1:00pm—2:00pm Android Workshop (bring your laptop)
3. ROBOTICON Tampa Bay – October 10 & 11 at the University of Tampa Arena
FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) teams can enjoy build and scrimmage opportunities all day Saturday, October 10th, at the 3rd annual ROBOTICON FIRST Showcase at the University of Tampa. We’re incorporating feedback from our last two events for improved pit and play experiences for FTC & FLL, and with more targeted workshops for both programs. R.O.B.O.T. League FTC Teams may participate in ROBOTICON at no cost, in appreciation for field use and volunteer support. Out-of-League team costs are $25 per team. Full FTC playing field will be available for game play and practice.
ROBOTICON Challenge is open again this year for FTC and FRC Teams. Sponsored by Boca Bearing Company, the top team in each of the three competition categories – Entrepreneurship, Technical and Community Service - will win $150 in store credit and some cool swag from Boca Bearings.
Visit ROBOTICON.net to register your team for ROBOTICON and the ROBOTICON Challenge. Registration for ROBOTICON closes September 25, or when we reach our maximum of a dozen FTC teams. (9 slots are currently available)
4. Upcoming Outreach Opportunities
October 16 & 17 - St. Petersburg Science Festival, University of South Florida, St. Petersburg Register at our Outreach Registration form here: http://goo.gl/forms/wBwNRE47Y6 by October 1.
October 17 – St. Petersburg Comic Con & MakerCon – FIRST exhibit at this St. Petersburg College-Seminole Campus library event. RSPV at http://goo.gl/forms/wBwNRE47Y6 by October 1.
Hans K. Wolf
Tampa Bay Robotics Foundation, Inc.
Follow Florida FTC at:
Florida FIRST Tech Challenge website: http://www.flfirst.org
Florida FTC Facebook page: facebook.com/FloridaFTC
Florida FTC Twitter page: twitter.com/FLFTC #FLFTCRocks
Florida FTC Forum: http://flftc.forumotion.com
FIRST Tech Challenge Blog: http://firsttechchallenge.blogspot.com
Visit FIRST in Florida at FIRSTFL.org for more information and resources about FIRST statewide.