E-Mail December 9, 2018
- Hits: 961
Greetings Florida FTC Teams, Coaches, Volunteers, and Sponsors:
This version of the newsletter covers the following topics
1. Dean’s List Nominations
2. (Repeat) TensorFlow Machine Learning Technology Available
3. Florida State Championship Update
4. (Repeat) Outreach Opportunity -- Florida FIRST Advocacy Conference
1. Dean’s List Nomination – Dean’s list nominations will be interviewed at league championships in January, 2019 and February, 2019. Do you have an outstanding sophomore or junior student on your team that embodies leadership, entrepreneurship, technical expertise and a passion to spread the word about FIRST®? Nominations can be made by right from your team dashboard by clicking the “Dean’s List Submission” button. Make sure to read the Dean’s List Nomination Guide and submit your nomination today! The following are final deadline for Florida FTC coaches to submit your Dean’s List nomination depending on which league championship you will be attend:
- ·January League Championships – Deadline for submission is December 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM ET for the following leagues:
- ROBOT League
- Pinellas League
- North East Florida League
- OneClay League
- AeroCoast League
- ·February League Championships – Deadline for submission is January 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET for the following leagues:
- South Florida
- Space Coast
- Tesla League
2. (Repeat) TensorFlow Machine Learning Technology Available -- With the recent software release, Teams can now use Google's TensorFlow Machine Learning technology to detect and track the Gold and Silver minerals for this year's game. We have a short blog post that talks about this new and exciting feature.
3. Florida State Championship Update – The previous newsletter announced that the FTC Florida Championship will be held at the Prime Osborne Conversion Center in Jacksonville, FL on February 22-23, 2019. This event has been added to the FIRST Volunteer Information Management System (VIMS) and I would like to encourage volunteers to register for the event. We also announced that 48 Florida FTC teams will receive an invitation to the state championship and now we are announcing how many teams from each league will be attending:
- Space Coast League – 8 Teams
- South Florida League – 8 Teams
- North East Florida League – 8 Teams
- ROBOT League – 7 Teams
- Tesla League – 7 Teams
- Pinellas League – 4 Teams
- OneClay League – 3 Teams
- AeroCoast League – 3 Teams
4. (Repeat) Outreach Opportunity--Florida FIRST Advocacy Conference -- Interested in joining with other FTC and FRC teams to make FIRST loud in Florida’s Capitol? The inaugural Florida FIRST Advocacy Conference is scheduled for March 19-21, 2019 in Tallahassee.
Modeled after the FIRST National Advocacy Conference in Washington, DC, the Florida FIRST Advocacy Conference will equip students to communicate effectively about their FIRST experience with their elected representatives. The organizers, FTC RISE 7719 and Ascend 14699 from Lakeland Christian School, participated in the National Advocacy Conference in Washington, DC in the summer of 2018. RISE was inspired to bring this training back to Florida to share with other FIRST teams.
A partnership with the Florida Commission on the Status of Women's LEAD Summit will connect FIRST students to a broad coalition of leaders from organizations across the state of Florida during their days in Tallahassee.
The training is intended for high school students and select, mature older middle schoolers participating actively on FTC and FRC teams. Space is limited. Teams are requested to limit participation to four team members plus chaperones. If space is available, additional slots will open.
To register: https://goo.gl/forms/DTWrBOwmq5VrHJ8Y2 Registration deadline: January 9
Conference fee: $40 per person covers snacks, conference materials, and activities.
Hotel: Country Inn and Suites $125/room with two double beds/quad occupancy
Follow Florida FTC at:
Florida FIRST Tech Challenge website: http://www.flfirst.org
Florida FTC Facebook page: facebook.com/FloridaFTC
Florida FTC Twitter page: twitter.com/FLFTC #FLFTCRocks
Florida FTC Forum: http://flftc.forumotion.com
FIRST Tech Challenge Blog: http://firsttechchallenge.blogspot.com
Visit FIRST in Florida at FIRSTFL.org for more information and resources about FIRST statewide.